Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Dirty Water Dogs are a lifelong Guilty Pleasure-Classic Posting

Somehow it always happens. An 11 am meeting runs late, a conference call is never ending or morning traffic is snarled. My noon time schedule is always in a state of flux. The healthy lunch in Chinatown is postponed. The field trip to the Wegman's Food Court is tabled and the fresh rolled sushi is now on hold.

Trapped between lunchtime hunger in University City and our next VIP event on the 57th Floor of Two Liberty Place, I am at the mercy of urban street cuisine.

Do I dare do Chinese food from a truck? Pass on the Bok Choy.

Do I have a Fish Taco from Fiesta Jamal? Someone please Dial 911. I am being attacked by Culture Shock.

Do I tempt fatewith a so-called Philadelphia Cheesesteak from a grisly griddle on 38th St?  That seems like a big risk to me, Mortimer.

Then, around the corner, I spy salvation. A hot dog cart is just a dart's throw away and Dirty Water Dogs are best enjoyed in threes. Slow-cooked in oil-dotted water that could be over two day's old, these all-beef hot dogs are a true urban delicacy. I like my boiled dogs with spicy mustard and sauerkraut. I am very a traditional New Yorker in this area of gastronomic exploration.

There is no street fare more tried and true than a Dirty Water Dog. My favorites are the Sabrett Hot Dogs sold from countless aluminum carts on the bustling streets of New York City. Their long and skinny shape make them the perfect candidate for a 10 am three spot. IBC Black Cherry Soda is the perfect Guiltorious chaser.

I speak from years of experience. I worked on Exchange Place near Wall Street and three dogs with kraut were a morning ritual. Dining al Fresco in front of the old Citibank Building was a bonafide Guilty Pleasure. The incredible smell of roasted chestnuts wafting in the city's winter air as I shivered in the streets of Lower Manhttan waiting for my third hot dog to be snugly rolled in a paper napkin like a dubee, is an iconic memory of New York City that I will always cherish.  Luckily we're going to Manhattan on Saturday to see Heathers on Off Broadway.  I am sure I can sneak in a hot dog or two when we're on 49th St.



Dirty Water Dogs are a lifelong Guilty Pleasure.